LITTLE ORLEANS — Led by the Orleans Fire Department, several companies responded to 10007 M.V. Smith Road Thursday morning to battle a 4 a.m. flue fire.
“I was on the first engine to arrive and saw that we had a working flue fire,” said Orleans Chief John Clingerman. “We were able to contain the fire to the flue and then ventilated the house.”
Clingerman said he was pleased upon arrival to hear working smoke alarms and see that all three occupants had evacuated the structure owned and resided in by Marla Hudgins.
“With a fire in the middle of the night those smoke alarms save lives,” Clingerman said.
Damage was minimized to that from smoke, the chief said. The family returned to the home with instructions to have the flue inspected before using the woodburner again.
Clingerman said the 24-by-40-foot, single-story home with a basement has electric heat as well.
Twenty firefighters re-sponded, including those from Flintstone, Baltimore Pike, Bedford Road, Hancock and Berkeley Springs. A Flintstone Volunteer Fire Department ambulance was also on the scene.
The last unit cleared the scene a little before 6 a.m.