Here is the real state of the union:
1. Only in America could the rich people — who pay 86 percent of all income taxes — be accused of not paying their “fair share” by people who don’t pay any income taxes at all.
2. Only in America could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black president, a black attorney general, and roughly 18 percent of the federal work-force is black while only 12 percent of the population is black.
3. Only in America could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner, the head of the Treasury Department, and Charles Rangel who once ran the Ways and Means Committee, both turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.
4. Only in America can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.
5. Only in America would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just “magically” become American citizens.
6. Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country’s Constitution be thought of as “extremists.”
7. Only in America could you need to present a driver’s license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
8. Only in America could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil is less than half of a company making tennis shoes — Nike).
9. Only in America could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it has per year — for total spending of $7 million per minute, and complain that it doesn’t have nearly enough money.
10. Only in America could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.
We can thank the most destructive or enabling force in the world for our downfall. The guardians of the republic have been bribed by their wards so now the inmates run the institution. The corrupt media; the king makers.
It is they who need to be elected in order to do their job. We need to be able to vote them out of power. And power they have!
Here is the real state of the union:
Maryland school officials on Tuesday put an exclamation point on the need to take student-athlete concussions more seriously.
Why are there no answers to these questions?
We currently have the most corrupt administration in the history of the country. Every day more and more lies come from the Obama administration.
Roaming dogs prove menace to some residents of LaVale
I am writing to inform your readers and the animal control staff of Allegany about a problem that is dragging on and unresolved, yet.
These types should look to the Boy Scouts for an example
Consider these headlines:
NRA will “Never Surrender.”
The Tea Party will “Never Surrender.”
The No Tax Group will “Never surrender.”
Neocons will “Never Surrender.”
Far Left Liberals will “Never Surrender.”
Housing project will have bad effect on property in this area
I am writing to you to voice my opposition to a low income housing project that has been proposed for construction on a tract of land on Pine Swamp Road in Mineral County, W.Va. I am a registered voter and resident of Mineral County and live in the New Creek/Pine Swamp area.
Why have the media been silent all this time?
When I read the Cumberland Times-News Editorial this morning, Friday, May 17, entitled, “Outrageous,” I laughed like a kid at a birthday party!
What are chances this much money will be spent on road?
I was intrigued by cost data summarized in reporter Kathy Mellott’s recent article, “Completing southern link of U.S. Route 219 said to be best use of highway funds,” which appeared in the Cumberland Times-News on Tuesday May 14 (Page 1A).
School board should be doing better job with less money
The Allegany County Teachers Association (ACTA) board of directors recently submitted a letter to the editor asking the Allegany County commissioners to fully fund the Board of Education’s budget request for the upcoming fiscal year (“Commissioners should fund school board request,” April 29 Times-News).
Better ‘Click It’
If you notice more police on the highway this week, it’s for a couple of reasons.
Were they really good old days? You decide
When a fellow gets old, it’s not unusual for his mind to wander back to the days of his youth. He may forget where he laid his glasses five minutes ago, yet he can remember events that took place a half a century ago. This is one of the interesting things of old age.
- More Opinion Headlines
- High priority