Here is the real state of the union:
1. Only in America could the rich people — who pay 86 percent of all income taxes — be accused of not paying their “fair share” by people who don’t pay any income taxes at all.
2. Only in America could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black president, a black attorney general, and roughly 18 percent of the federal work-force is black while only 12 percent of the population is black.
3. Only in America could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner, the head of the Treasury Department, and Charles Rangel who once ran the Ways and Means Committee, both turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.
4. Only in America can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.
5. Only in America would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just “magically” become American citizens.
6. Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country’s Constitution be thought of as “extremists.”
7. Only in America could you need to present a driver’s license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
8. Only in America could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil is less than half of a company making tennis shoes — Nike).
9. Only in America could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it has per year — for total spending of $7 million per minute, and complain that it doesn’t have nearly enough money.
10. Only in America could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.
We can thank the most destructive or enabling force in the world for our downfall. The guardians of the republic have been bribed by their wards so now the inmates run the institution. The corrupt media; the king makers.
It is they who need to be elected in order to do their job. We need to be able to vote them out of power. And power they have!
Here is the real state of the union:
Were they really good old days? You decide
When a fellow gets old, it’s not unusual for his mind to wander back to the days of his youth. He may forget where he laid his glasses five minutes ago, yet he can remember events that took place a half a century ago. This is one of the interesting things of old age.
Wearing the poppy tells others people that you remember
On May 25, members of Farrady Unit 24 American Legion Auxiliary, Frostburg, will once again ask the citizens of the community to remember the sacrifices our veterans have made.
Donating your old bike will help someone who really needs it
Once again Bikes for the World is collecting used bicycles at Canal Place, May 25 from 10 a.m. to noon,
Hosting Fresh Air Children can be a memorable experience
I got a phone call, and a little voice said, “Hi Miss Linda, I’m calling to wish you a Happy Mother’s Day.”
Stop buying licenses; let them find the money somewhere else
A few months ago, I received two cards from the National Rifle Association. These were dealing with a legislative alert.
They asked that I should contact Sen. George Edwards and Delegate Kevin Kelly concerning the anti-gun legislation.
Strength of gun laws is not reflected in grisly statistics
According to the FBI’s uniform crime reports, California had the highest number of gun murders in 2011 with 1,220, which makes up 68 percent of all murders in the state that year and equates to 3.25 murders per 100,000 people.
‘Forgotten warrior’ not forgotten
The Korean War is often called “The Forgotten War.” My generation remembers the Battle for LZ X-Ray at Ia Drang, The Tet Offensive, and Khe Sahn of the Vietnam War.
Organization needed to help utilize the Potomac River
I am a committee remember on the Tamiami Trail Scenic Highway which stretches from Palmetto to Venice, Fla.
Reducing meat consumption can help ease climate change
A review of 12,000 papers on climate change, in the May 15 issue of “Environmental Research Letters,” found that 97 percent of scientists attribute climate change to human activities.
Maryland has stopped being “The Free State”
I am a lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans and, last but not least, the National Rifle Association. I am a yearly member of the American Legion.
- More Letters Headlines
- Were they really good old days? You decide