GLEN BURNIE, Md. (AP) — The death of a Glen Burnie high school junior who suffered meningitis-like symptoms prompted Anne Arundel County school officials to warn parents and students about the disease.
Schools officials say it has not been confirmed whether the unidentified girl had contracted the illness, but they decided to move proactively in case meningitis is confirmed.
Schools spokesman Bob Mosier told The Baltimore Sun (http://bsun.md/Sewvd7) that a letter was sent to students' parents on Wednesday informing them of the death of the student the day before and providing facts about bacterial meningitis. The spokesman says the bacterial form of the disease is less contagious than the viral form, but still can be deadly.
Meningitis is an infection that inflames membranes covering the brain and spinal cord.